Why Do We All Love Dr. Seuss? Discovering the Mystery and Magic of an Icon
By: Lois Einhorn, Ph.D.
Robert D. Reed Publishersm P. O. Box 1992, Bandon, Oregon 97411, 978-1934759585, $ 11.95, 2012, 144 Pages
Reviewed by Richard R. Blake
A New Awareness – Seeing the Extraordinary in the Ordinary
Dr. Einhorn introduces her observations and interpretations of the writing of Dr. Seuss by sharing her insights on some unique often overlooked subtleties. The Dr. Seuss books:
- Encourage the building positive values and vision
- Emphasize important character traits
- Expand a child’s awareness, curiosity, and creative imagination
- Entertain with humor, clever illustrations, and comical visuals
- Embolden children to think for themselves
- And offer the reader an opportunity to, experience the joy of reading aloud with an attentive, appreciative audience of children
Dr. Einhorn draws noteworthy parallels from the stories of Dr. Seuss and classic thinkers, spiritual leaders, writers, and others. The message is timeless, the teaching universal. She includes quotes from people like: Albert Einstein, Edwin Markham, Khalil Gibran, Howard Thurman, Eric Hoffer, and Cicero to re-enforce her observations.
I personally, begin reading Dr. Seuss stories to my own children, then to my grandchildren, and now to the great grand kids. Thanks to Dr. Einhorn’s keen insights, I now better understand why it is important for me to pass along this important source of core values, exemplifying: Trust, unity, courage, integrity, gratefulness, and so many more wonderful lessons.
“Why Do We All Love Dr. Seuss?” is entertaining, informational, giving the reader a new awareness enabling them to see through the eyes of Dr. Seuss’s characters the extraordinary in the ordinary. Highly recommended.
I was provided a complimentary copy of this book for review purposes. The opinions expressed are my own. As reviewed for Midwest Book Review.