By: Laurie Wallin
2450 Oak Industrial Drive, NE,
Grand Rapids, MI 49505
978-0825443398, 2015, 175 Pages
Reviewed by Richard R. Blake, firstname.lastname@example.org
Help for Parents of Special Needs Children
Laurie Wallin knows from personal experience the challenges faced by families with special need kids. “Get Your Joy Back” is her story.Wallin is candid and transparent; willing to be honest and expose her own vulnerabilities when she talks of the reality of parenting special needs children. She discusses the issues of resentment, the intensity of multi-tasking and the impact of this on siblings and other family members.
The subtitle “– Banishing Resentment and Reclaiming Confidence in Your Special Needs Family” is a commitment to the reader to offer helpful guidelines and encouragement.Wallin delivers on this promise through the use of:
- Probing Introspective Suggestions for self-examination with guidelines and exercises for taking steps to optimize your strengths
- A concept for allowing yourself to make room for God sized dreams
- A reader friendly format with helpful subtitles for quick review, and assimilation
- Chapter Notes and Resource Lists
- Next Step Ideas for Application
Practical themes covered in the fifteen chapters of the book include: Forgiveness of yourself, your child, your spouse, your extended family, the professionals, the church and community, and forgiving God.
Wallin is a gifted communicator, a professional life coach with a passionate heart, is empathetic with her readership and knowledgeable in the area of special needs parenting.
A complimentary copy of the book was provided for review purposes. The opinions expressed are my own.